Fall may be in the air, but for some of us … it’s in our hair. Don’t want to stop rocking your beach waves just because the temps dropped? We don’t blame you. Brushing your hair sucks! Plus, tousled, just-got-off-the-beach hair is easier to maintain (and leave unwashed) than the back-to-business styles that seem to take over every fall.
The truth is, you don’t need to change up your beauty routine just because the season’s turning. After all, if some beaches can be better in the fall, so can some beach hairstyles. Take these three looks — which prove you can wear your beach waves well in (and well into!) the cooler months. No tools required.
The Fishtail Twist
You’ve got your beach waves down. Now, let’s add a unique braid for that extra pinch of fall whimsy.
- By taking small pieces of your hair from each side just above the ears, pull them back into a half-up/half-down ponytail.
- From there you want to twist the ponytail between the two pieces you pulled back at the crown of your head.
- Then, you’ll split the ponytail in half, gather more hair to each side and conduct a fishtail braid.
- Once you’ve secured your fishtail braid with a tie at the end, gently pull each section of hair for a fuller braid that not only adds dimension, but makes your hair seem that much thicker.
The Messy Ponytail
This hairstyle makes the most of those messy beach wave days with a simple fall ponytail.
- If you’re working with second-day hair, make sure to start with a dry shampoo to help absorb any oil and add texture to your waves.
- You’ll want to take a teasing comb and tease the entire base of your hair from the roots to add about an inch to two inches of lift. This may sound, and should look, big once you’re done teasing.
- Next, give your teased hair a quick round of hairspray to lock in the volume.
- Use a comb or brush to smooth out any bumps and give your hair your ideal amount of volume in the crown.
- Then, pull the front of your hair back and secure at the base of your crown with two bobby pins.
- You’ll take your ponytail and secure your hair with it, meeting the ponytail at the place on your crown where the bobby pins are resting.
- Once your hair is back in the ponytail, remove the bobby pins and brush out your waves to your ideal smoothness.
- Finish with additional hairspray to secure volume and shape.
The Beach Bun
The easiest way to style your beach waves for fall is with our last find and this half-up/half-down beach bun do.
- Brush back the top of your hair into a half-up/half-down ponytail.
- Using your teasing comb, lightly tease the ponytail from root to end.
- Then, twist the ponytail into a bun and pin it into place (you may need more than one bobby pin to secure it).
- From there, gently pull on the bun to reach desired shape and size.
- Finish with hairspray for additional security and to eliminate any frizz.