May is National Hamburger Month. If you like your burger with a side of bourbon, this recipe is for you.
If you like to pair your red meat with a stiff drink, then this is absolutely the perfect burger for you. Though not necessarily a whiskey drinker, I demolished this burger, and I have the deep, dark flavor of bourbon to thank for it.
A quick mushroom sauce that comes together in less than 15 minutes (and can be made ahead) is what pushes this over the top, and bacon’s always a good idea.
Raising your eyebrows at the grass-fed beef? If it’s not something you spring for at the grocery store, just do me this favor – try it once. There is an absolute flavor difference. Muenster is a mild cheese that let’s the bourbon flavor shine through, and the dijonnaise is like icing on a very delicious, very meaty cake.
The classic cheeseburger is always tasty, but what’s the harm in taking things up a notch?
Boozy Mushroom and Bacon Burgers
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
- 1 tbsp. garlic
- 4 c. white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 c. onion, finely diced
- 2 tbsp. all purpose flour
- ¼ c. bourbon
- 1 c. beef stock
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 ½ lb. grass fed ground beef
- Salt and Pepper
- 4 thick slices Muenster cheese
- 4 seeded buns
- 4 slices bacon, cooked
- 4 tbsp. dijonnaise
- In a large saucepan over medium high heat, add 2 tbsp. of the butter. Add garlic, mushrooms and onions and cook for about 8 minutes, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are golden brown.
- Add flour and stir to coat mushrooms, about 1 minute. Remove pan from heat and add bourbon and stir well. Return to heat and add beef stock; stir well.
- Let mixture simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally, about five minutes. Remove from heat and add in salt, pepper, and remaining tablespoon butter. Stir to combine and melt butter.
- Heat grill to medium high. Form four patties with beef, 4-5 inches thick and no thicker than 1 inch. Sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Arrange patties on grill, cover, and let cook for several minutes. Flip and continue to cover and cook until desired temperature, about 5 minutes. Top with cheese slices, and cover until cheese has melted.
- Arrange burgers on buns and top with mushroom sauce. Break bacon in half and place on mushroom sauce. Add the top of the bun and serve.