Get inspired to drink your way across America (without ever leaving your backyard) with Margaritaville’s 50 Drinks in 50 States series.
Happy National Tequila Day! While every day is basically Tequila Day at Margaritaville, we are thrilled to celebrate today with the rest of the country. Since we’ve already featured our favorite tequila drink – The Margarita – we thought we would bring you a new tasty tequila delight today. Come sip on the Chimayó cocktail with us in New Mexico!
The bountiful crop of apples in north-central New Mexico provided the inspiration behind this beverage. Legend has it that the founder of this cocktail, Artura Jaramillo, owner of the Rancho de Chimayo Restaurant in Chimayo, New Mexico, was looking for a way to use the abundance of apples when he created this signature cocktail in 1965.
Tequila adds a tasty twist to a variety of cocktails, so on this special day we invite you to expand your horizons and try a few of them. Here’s a list of Margaritaville’s seven signature drinks for National Tequila Day.
- 1.5 oz tequila (preferably Margaritaville Gold Tequila)
- 1 oz unfiltered apple cider
- 1/2 oz fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 oz Crème de Cassis
- Apple slices for garnish
Combine the ingredients in an old-fashioned glass filled with ice, stir well and garnish with apple slices.
- To prevent sliced apples from turning color, quickly dip your cut slices into a little lemon juice and shake off any excess.
- To make your own unfiltered apple cider:
- Wash, core, and slice several apples. Place them in a food processor and puree.
- Press the puree through a cheesecloth to extract the juice. This can be stored in the refrigerator for about a week.