Do you enjoy ice cream cones or cupcakes more? Why pick!
May 11th is National Eat What You Want Day and we are ready to celebrate a day of eating with no regrets with a tropical treat hybrid. On this day of indulgence, we’re reaching for a Pineapple Ice Cream Cone Cupcake without remorse. The crunch of the cone mixed with the light, moist cake and pineapple-infused icing will have you feeling like life is sweet!
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple undrained
- 1 recipe pineapple buttercream frosting
- 12 cake ice cream cones
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Place 12 cones in a 9×13 metal baking dish standing up.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir with a whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy. Add the sugar, continue to beat for 3 minutes.
- With the mixer set to low, beat in the vanilla. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Beat in the crushed pineapple and its juice. Add the flour, mixing just until combined.
- Divide batter evenly among the ice cream cones to fill them.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes in the pan while you prepare the pineapple frosting.
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 3-4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon meringue powder
- Pour the 8 ounces of crushed pineapple and its juice into a food processor. (Or a Frozen Concoction Maker, whichever is more accessible) Process until finely pureed. Transfer to a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is reduced. Set aside to cool completely.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or with an electric hand mixer, beat the butter on medium-high speed until smooth. Add the vanilla and salt. Continue to beat until incorporated.
- Add 2 cups of confectioner’s sugar and meringue powder, beat on medium-low speed until most of the sugar is moistened. Gradually add in the remaining sugar, one cup at a time. You may need more or less depending on how soft the butter is. Beat on medium-low speed until the sugar is moistened. Turn the speed up to medium-high and beat until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the pineapple puree and beat until well combined.
- Garnish with a pineapple wedge and/or sprinkles.